Mgr Paul Grogan

Mgr Paul Grogan
Mgr Paul Grogan

Monday 28 May 2012

A ruby wedding anniversary

Forty years ago today, I attended a wedding (probably in short trousers), my first such, in the chapel of Leeds Trinity. I remember exactly where I sat with my family. My teacher, Miss Seager, was marrying Mr Rogers. As a young priest I met Mr Rogers again: he was the Headteacher at St Theresa's Primary School, in north Leeds and one who was very highly respected by his colleagues; I was a curate in the parish. This evening I celebrated the Mass to mark Keith and Teresa's ruby anniversary. It was a great occasion and many of their friends gathered for it. Some had not been to Leeds Trinity for forty years. After my homily Keith and Teresa came up to the sanctuary and I gave them the blessing which the Church offers for such occasions. After Mass they invited me to join them for the reception. Ordinarily I don't linger at such events, but this evening was different. All around me were seasoned Catholic teachers, most of whom had recently retired, all of whom are imbued with the faith. I felt greatly encouraged by my several conversations. I think that we will look back on the seventies, when their teaching careers began, as a highpoint of Catholic culture in our country. Every advance now seems somehow so hard won, in contrast. I left the party and felt a little bit deflated. Then a friend rang: "My daughter has decided to get confirmed," she told me delightedly. The Holy Spirit has won through again. If only 13-year-olds knew what they put us through! Here are Keith and Teresa and their two daughters by the Easter Candle.

No comments:

Post a Comment