Mgr Paul Grogan

Mgr Paul Grogan
Mgr Paul Grogan

Thursday 17 May 2012

First confessions

I had a pleasant evening hearing confessions this evening. It was at a service for the families at Ss Peter and Paul's Parish, Yeadon whose children are soon to make their First Holy Communion. I made my first confession in the same church 41 years ago. Mgr John Wilson preached very directly on Jesus as the shepherd who rescues the lamb that has gone astray. Lots of people were grinning during his  homily - and that was before they had been to confession! All the children knew by heart the introductory line - "Bless me Father for I have sinned. This is my first confession," - and the Act of Contrition. They were assured and confident. Congratulations to headteacher Mrs Diane Todd and her team, pictured with Mgr Wilson under the statue of Our Lady after the service. And of course, lots of parents, inspired by their children, took the opportunity to receive the sacrament too. "Thanks for coming," one of the teachers said as I headed home. "Not at all," I said. "It was.." I couldn't think of the word immediately; "..well, it was a joy actually."

No comments:

Post a Comment