Mgr Paul Grogan

Mgr Paul Grogan
Mgr Paul Grogan

Tuesday 14 February 2012

My true love hath my heart and I have his

It being Valentine's Day, our Staff  Prayer Group (pictured below) met this lunchtime to reflect prayerfully on the theme "Love and Sacrifice." This group was founded about ten years ago to help Christian members of staff to encourage each other in what each sees as his/her vocation, serving God in higher education. Today we simply shared with each other favourite passages: they included an account of the extraordinary heroism demonstrated by the nineteenth century Korean martyrs, a reflection on God's love by a contemporary writer, Mark Greene, the Director of the London Institute for Contemporary Chrsitianity, Sir Philip Sydney's "My true love hath my heart and I have his" and Psalm 139 "Oh Lord, you examine me and you know me." We ended with a period of silence and petitionary prayer. In how many institutions in West Yorkshire, I wonder, do members of staff from different Christian traditions, come together and reflect and pray like this? In such small-scale but symbolically important ways, Leeds Trinity lives its identity. When Christian solidarity is so easy to access, it somehow makes you want to give more.




Thank you to Rose Lanigan for her email:

I just thought you might be interested to know that we have a similar Staff Prayer group at the University of Bradford for all Christian denominations. We've only been established for about a year but I too feel that we are lucky to have this shared time in our busy schedules.

1 comment:

  1. I just thought you might be interested to know that we have a similar Staff Prayer group at the University of Bradford for all Christian denominations. We've only been established for about a year but I too feel that we are lucky to have this shared time in our busy schedules.

    ReplyDelete