Mgr Paul Grogan

Mgr Paul Grogan
Mgr Paul Grogan

Friday 10 February 2012

Bearing the cross

I met up with a second-year business studies student today - Daniel Taylor - who wanted to share with me some research he has been doing. He has conducted an on-line survey to find out what his fellow students think about Catholicism. He is currently on a work placement helping to publicise an initiative by the Sisters of the Cross and Passion whereby people in this country can spend some time with members of the order in South America. The first entry about Catholicism read as follows: "Scares me a bit, worked in a catholic school, too many statues etc. Too much chanting." Another read: "I have no problems with catholics practising catholicism however, I do not appreciate it being forced upon me." A third read: "I am a practising Catholic and my religion means a lot to me." A fourth read: "no condoms allowed, priests caught playing with kids." I suppose those comments represent a fair cross-section of opinion about the Catholic Church. They reveal a lot of negativity, we might say! Catholics are frightening and liable at any moment to force people to attend Mass, during which there will be excessive chanting. Our teaching about sexuality is ridiculous and as a result of the paedophile scandals we are totally discredited. Yet in the midst of all of this there was a faith testimony: "my religion means a lot to me." How strong that phrase sounds in the context of the others.



As it happens, just before I met up with Daniel (pictured, who is not a Catholic) I had been down to the diocesan Safeguarding Office. A number of the clergy, including I, have been asked to apply for a renewal of our criminal record bureau clearance. I had been a little late in replying to the original email and I was sent another email impressing on me the need to present myself at the office. This small detail reveals to me how systematic and serious the Catholic Church has become at ensuring our children are safe. Our lack of attentiveness in the past has led to our being humbled before all the world. Sitting in the office this afternoon and giving an account of myself before the diocesan officer seemed like a small reparation for the sins of the Church. I felt much stronger afterwards, better able to serve that young person, whoever he or she is, who in the face of others' criticisms - some merited, some not - remains firm in the faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment